28 February 2011

The Beginnings

I have recently started studying the Sermon on the Mount with my lifegroup this semester. This past weekend as I started to read the very beginning (Matthew 5:1-16), a question occurred to me that I hadn't ever though of before. Why does Jesus begin His teaching with the Beatitudes?

I've found this question fascinating. Why would Jesus beginning argue arguably His most famous teaching by gathering the disciples and beginning a list? This is a highly anticipated moment in Jesus's ministry, so why does He choose to begin it in this fashion?

I have considered several answers, but I want to stir your mind as well. What do you think? Why does Jesus begin the Sermon on the Mount with the Beatitudes? Comment here or send me a message. Hope you find this thought provoking and challenging.

in Christ Jesus
-matt

No comments:

Post a Comment