10 August 2011

Misplaced Authority

I was reading in Matthew 16:13-23 this afternoon and wanted to share. Verse 18, referring to Peter, says "... on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it."

Here Christ promises us, as the church, ultimate victory. Knowing the end should influence how we live now. I know I have heard countless sermons on this subject. Beyond that repetition, I studied eschatology this summer. Eschatology is the study of the end times. This is only relevant to us because it is meant to spur the church onward. To follow the commands of Christ and spread the Gospel to the world.

In the same breath, Jesus also promises the keys to the Kingdom to the church. The key symbolizes ultimate authority. Only with the key, can one open the gates. What does that mean for us?
It means that when we approve of sin, we are using God's authority given to us to argue for its admittance into heaven. Nothing impure can be with God. When we argue for our sinful desires we willfully distance ourselves from heaven. We reject the divine authority bestowed on us and make ourselves utterly worthless.

The gravity of this situation is demonstrated in verses 21 to 23, coming to the head when Jesus rebukes Peter for not "setting [his] mind on the things of God, but on the things of man." Christ paints a vivid picture here, and He demands a response. I confess my lack of response to the promise in verse 18 and my misuse of divine authority that Christ gives us (verse 19) is birthed out of my selfishness. My mind too often focuses on thoughts of man and thoughts of the flesh rather than thoughts of God.

I deserve for Christ to look at me and declare, "get behind me, Satan." Yet he hasn't. His mercy allows me to struggle onward. Praying that someday I would obtain the strength and wisdom to forever focus my mind on the things of God.

My recommendations would be to read over this passage and ask God to show you where you misplace his authority. What are the things of man that you try to justify before a Holy God? Lastly, take a moment to praise Him for the grace that allows us to continue on. Even though we abuse His grace He continues to ransom us back to Himself. Praise God that we are not alone to run our lives. Thank You, Father for a proper perspective.
-matt

No comments:

Post a Comment